[DFTB-Plus-User] MPI Version crashes

Silvio a Beccara s.abeccara at gmail.com
Fri Sep 27 09:42:18 CEST 2013

Dear Bálint,

thanks for the information. We recompiled the OpenMPI libraries with gcc
4.9 (latest build) and parallel DFTB+ now works, giving exactly the same
energies as the serial version.

However, unfortunately we're having some performance issues. We tried a
system with about 5000 silver atoms, and this is the result of a test
run: after 15 hours, on 32 cores with Infiniband connection, at 2.67
GHz, only 8 SCC cycles were completed.

Moreover, if we double the number of the cores, the computing time
increases slightly instead of decreasing, contrary to what would be
expected.

What do you think? Do you have any idea as to why this is happening, and
maybe some suggestion to optimise the calculation?
I am including our input and output files, together with the SKF file.

Thanks and regards

Silvio a Beccara

--
Silvio a Beccara