[DFTB-Plus-User] A question about GatePotential

Gabriele Penazzi gabriele.penazzi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Fri Apr 19 23:09:33 CEST 2013

Hi,

when eV is specified the corresponding potential is in Volt. If you
like, you can see it as the rigid shift in the chemical potential
associated with that potential. Under the hood, the value fixes a bias,
therefore is equivalent to applying that finite bias to the gate
electrode. Therefore, if you want 1V set 1V regardless the number of
free electrons (besides 1V is pretty high...you could need luck for
convergency...)

Gabriele

On 04/19/2013 07:42 PM, Xiaobao wrote:
> Hi,
>         I have a question about the unit of GatePotential. In the
> manual, the unit of this potential is in eV. Let 's assume I have a
> system of 100 "free" electrons and the setting gate potential of 1eV.
> The free electrons may come from doping, for example.  Does this
> setting imply that the circuital potential is  0.01 Volt ? Otherwise,
> how can i set a circuital voltage of 1 V to  the system of 100 free
> electrons?
> Thank you!
> Xiaobao,

Dr. Gabriele Penazzi