[DFTB-Plus-User] final magnetic moment for each atom in the system

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Fri Mar 15 09:22:35 CET 2013

Hello Robyn,

you need to make a Mulliken analysis, and then look at the spin up and spin down resolved
values from detailed.out. For colinear spins, this is just the difference in the net up and down
channel charges. In order to investigate different spin pattern, you will need to break spin
symmetries by setting the initial spin directions (see the manual for an example).

In anti-feromagnetic ordering the net spin is zero, but unless you initially set some spins to
be up and others to be down, the code will probably find a non magnetic state instead.
To realistically investigate the question of paramagnetism vs. feromagnetism etc. the first
step is probably to calculate effective Heisenberg model parameters by looking at energy
changes between different spin patterns. I'd suggest you look at some of the theoretical
literature on dilute magnetic semiconductors for a discussion of what is involved here,
papers by Satao and Katayama-Yoshida for example.

Regards

Ben

      Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
    University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
            107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, UK.
    +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

  Strathclyde 2012 THE Awards UK University of the Year

   The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
        registered in Scotland, number SC015263