[DFTB-Plus-User] Electronic temperature

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Fri Sep 7 14:40:46 CEST 2012

Dear Bálint,

Thank you very much for your answer pointing out the importance of
paying attention to the Mermin free energy when the electronic
temperature is not zero and occupation numbers are non-integers.

Following your advice, I've compared the total energy and the Mermin
free energy for those hard_to_converge cases I mentioned in my
former mail. I've noted that the difference between them is a few
tenths of eV for, say, 20-50 K. I guess this is a good result but
now a new question arises: Can the difference between the total
energy and the Mermin free energy be taken as a measure of the
reliability of the results? In other words, can I state that the
smaller the difference between the total energy and the Mermin free
energy, the more reliable the result?

Thanks again.

Best regards,

Reinaldo