[DFTB-Plus-User] Electronic temperature

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 20:23:25 CEST 2012

Dear folks,

I'm very used to use some electronic temperature to speed up scf
convergence during dftb calculations. It works really good.
Moreover, I can restart those calculations diminishing the
electronic temperature up to integer orbital occupations are obtained.

However, a new system under study is becoming really hard to
converge. I'm able to achieve convergence with small electronic
temperatures but at the cost of having some non-integer occupation
numbers. If the temperature is decreased a little, then no
convergence is achieved at all. Thus, my question is: what limiting
values are accepted for non-integer occupation numbers when electron
smearing or electron temperature is used for scf? That is, is a
distribution like 0.70-0.30, for example, acceptable or not?

Regards,

Reinaldo