[DFTB-Plus-User] Slow Convergence problem

bikash sankar kanungo biku.kanungo at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 18:25:37 CEST 2012

Dear Jan,

Thanks for such a descriptive and insightful reply. I kept the timestep
=0.1 fs as the temperature of the system showed a sharp rise for 1fs
ultimately printing Nan. I made some trials and found 0.25fs to be the the
maximum timestep that worked for me.

For my NPT(Berendsen thermostat and barostat) run in DFTB I did not notice
any pressure change after 100 geometry steps( = 10fs for a timestep of
0.1fs). But since I have set Timescale=50fs so after 10fs I expected some
change in pressure. May be I am being too anxious about my outputs.

I am doing a LatticeOpt simultaneously , but strangely I never got beyond
Lattice Step = 0 for any of the 100 Geometry Steps I have reached so far.
Is that an expected behavior ?

For the time being I will let them go upto 1000-2000 steps which may take a
week and see if I get any success else I will have to for a smaller system
and work out the re-scaling approach you suggested.

Thank you,
Bikash

On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Jan M. Knaup <Jan.Knaup at bccms.uni-bremen.de