[DFTB-Plus-User] treatment of edge dangling bonds

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 17:41:50 CEST 2012

Hi Robyn,

As Bálint says, the program does not make any special treatment of
dangling bonds as far as I know.

You should saturate carbon atoms at the edges with hydrogen atoms in
such a way that all carbons are formally sp^2. Some authors put the
hydrogens at the usual equilibrium C-H distance, but others prefer
to build shorter C-H distances to push the bonding combination well
below the Fermi energy and the anti-bonding combination well above
E_F. Thus, you avoid such "strange" states to go around the
HOMO-LUMO gap.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Reinaldo