[DFTB-Plus-User] Failed geometry optimisation for 5 Au atom cluster

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Tue May 10 10:49:33 CEST 2011

Hello,

I'm a little confused why you are using DFTB+U (the OrbitalPotentials block) for gold clusters,
what is the reason to do this? This correction is usually of use for open shell d and f elements.
Gold has a filled d-shell, and you have added the correction to the s and p shells as well.

OrbitalResolvedSCC = Yes

is probably more useful for you, and is doing something physically very different. OrbitalPotentials
add terms which are related to correcting the on-site part of the self-interaction error, while
OrbitalResolvedSCC uses a more realistic model of charge transfer between shells.

Regards

Ben