[DFTB-Plus-User] Question about hessian generation to use in modes

Reinaldo Pis Diez reinaldo.pisdiez at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 16:12:22 CET 2011

Dear dftb+/modes users,

I was running the modes utility to get the frequencies of some
aggregates. There is no problem with that utility but I've seen a
non-expected behavior in the prior runs with dftb+ needed to create
the hessian.

Firstly, I run dftb+ with the ConjugateGradient option to the Driver
keyword to optimize the geometry of the isolated aggregate. It took
about 100 cycles to optimize with a MaxForceComponent of 0.01 a.u.,
no too strict but the calculation is part of a set of jobs on
several aggregates with increasing size and convergence becomes
difficult for large sizes.

Secondly, I prepare dftb_in.hsd with the SecondDerivatives option to
Driver to generate hessian.out. I append the geometry that was
optimized in the previous step, using the *.gen file. But, to my
surprise, the job starts with a geometry optimization again before
generating the hessian. It took about 30 cycles now, and the problem
here is that I cannot get the re-optimized geometry as the
OutputPrefix option is not valid in SecondDerivatives.

As a consequence of this the hessian and the optimzed geometry I'm
using for modes do not correspond to the same dftb+ run.

Any hints will be appreciated.

Regards,

Reinaldo

PS: Sorry for the long mail!