[DFTB-Plus-User] Failure in diagonalisation

Zack Terranova zterrano at nd.edu
Thu May 20 15:59:24 CEST 2010

Thank you for the reply Bálint!  That is what we thought too, so we tried switching to SteepestDescent.  It took longer to fail (Geom step 135), but failed nonetheless.
** Geometry step: 135

  iSCC Total electronic   Diff electronic      SCC error
ERROR!
-> Failure in diagonalisation routine zhegvd, non-positive definite overlap! Minor    886 responsible.

Here is some background on how I set this up. I am testing different parameter sets for the same material, TiO2.  I set up all three with the same initial geometries with one water molecule on top, and the other two finished fine.  The Zheng, et al. set seem to be giving me the trouble.  So what I have done is optimized the bare slab of TiO2, which completed successfully, took that relaxed geometry and put a water on top.  This is where it is failing me at steps 53, 82(CG) and 135 (SD).  Any more insight you could give would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you so much for your time!

Here is a copy of my dftb_in.gen:
Geometry = GenFormat {
 <<<"halfmolec.gen"