[DFTB-Plus-User] Fixed Charge Question

Ben Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Thu Apr 1 17:53:44 CEST 2010

Hello Mandelle,

experimentally even the most ionic material (LiF) does not have a charge
transfer large enough to give the formal picture of Li^+1 F^-1 ions.

But if you instead need the electrostatic energy of an array of charges
then the Madelung constant for the lattice should give this energy.

It is in principle possible to force DFTB+ to produce such an
un-physical charge transfer, however this is not the ground state of the
real system, it is instead equivalent to the system being in a (strong)
external field of some sort. If you do want to try this we can discuss
this off list.

Regards

Ben

--
     Dr. B. Hourahine, SUPA, Department of Physics,
   University of Strathclyde, John Anderson Building,
    +44 141 548 2325, benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
   The University of Strathclyde is a charitable body,
registered in Scotland, with registration number SC015263