[DFTB-Plus-User] Max Number of Atoms

Marcelo Zimmer mzsflores at gmail.com
Wed Oct 8 23:48:21 CEST 2008

Hello Ben,

Thank you for your response. I'm not sure about the stack size issue, since
I'm not familiar with it. In principle I can set the stack size to
unlimited, but I'm not sure how it will affect my calculations. After
setting it to unlimited, do I have to recompile dftb+? Also, when I set this
new limit, it gets back to its original value (8192KB) by the time I
reconnect to the machine. For now, I have too many doubts on how to work
(and workaraound) on this stack size issue. However, since my system was
made of a molecule over a surface (which is remained frozen during the
calculation) I could workaround my initial problem on calculating this
structure by dramatically reducing the number of atoms pertaining to the
surface (which was taken very big in order to check the limits of our
hardware available).

Regarding the eigensolver, as I new user of DFTB+, I have a question: is the
standard eigensolver the same as divide and conquer? The manual mentions
three flags for eigensolvers:

Standard {}
DivideAndConquer {}
RelativelyRobust {}

I've been using the Standard one so far, but I tested all these three flags
in a similar system having 1336 (but only 314 were free to move) atoms and
all of the flags used used 2.7 - 3.0 % of a total of 16Gb memory, so I
couldn't notice any difference between those eigensolvers related to memory
usage, however I haven't tested them by comparing total simulation time,
yet.

Best regards,

Marcelo Zimmer

       zimmer at ifi.unicamp.br