[DFTB-Plus-User] Spase matrices and eigenvalue problem

Benjamin Hourahine benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk
Wed May 21 18:10:33 CEST 2008

Hello Dr Romanowski,

the code structure already uses sparse matrices extensively
( see http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp070186p )

Unfortunately, for a typical problem, approximately half of
the eigenvalue/eigenvectors of the Hamiltonian must be
calculated to determine the energy/forces. This means that
most sparse solvers such as ARPACK are not efficent for this
type of problem, as they are designed to calculate only a
few eigenpairs. Additionally, even if you can solve the
eigenproblem sparsely, this leads to a large dense matrix of
eigenvectors (admittedly, you can construct the density matrix
a state at a time, but this is definitely very slow in serial,
or requires a parallel machine). Hence the standard DFTB+ code
uses dense eigensolvers for this.

It is possible to use sparse solvers for DFTB, but you definitely
need a multi-processor machine to run problems in the range of
sizes you indicated in your first mail. See

http://doi.acm.org/10.1145/1236463.1236464

for examples of DFTB using a parallel shift and invert sparse solver,
but I understand that you want to use run simulations on a serial processor.

An alternative possibility may be to use a linear scaling non-eigenvalue
based approach. We have under developement a version using Yang's divide
and conquer approach. Depending on the exact details of the problems you
are interested in, we might be able to collaborate on applying this.

Ben

    Dr. B. Hourahine, Department of Physics, SUPA, University of Strathclyde,
      John Anderson Building, 107 Rottenrow, Glasgow G4 0NG, United Kingdom
    Ph +44 141 548 2325 FAX +44 141 552 2891 benjamin.hourahine at strath.ac.uk

The University of Strathclyde is a Scottish resisted charitable body, number SC015263