[DFTB-Plus-User] Memory usage and CPU time

Balint Aradi balint.aradi at bccms.uni-bremen.de
Wed May 21 11:04:25 CEST 2008

Dear Zbigniew Romanowski,

> I would like to apply DFTB+ software to study the SiC clusters (without
> periodic boundary conditions) with 10^3 or 10^4 atoms. However, I do not
> have access to this software and I cannot estimate the memory usage and
> CPU time for this kind of job.
>
> Could anyone provide me the memory usage and CPU time for 1 CPU machine
> for system with 10^4 atoms?

  For SiC clusters, you should be able to calculate 1000 atoms with a
memory requirement of about 1 GB. Memory usage scales approx.
quadratically with the number of orbitals at the moment. About timings
for various systems, see

B. Aradi, B. Hourahine and T. Frauenheim.
DFTB+, a Sparse Matrix-Based Implementation of the DFTB Method.
J. Phys. Chem. A, 111:5678, 2007.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1021/jp070186p

Ps. Ben Hourahine is developing an order N version of the code, which
has a much better scaling on memory consumption and execution times, and
would be probably more suitable for the system sizes you're envisioning.
As this extension had not been officially released yet, you should
contact him directly for further details.

TAB A/3.10, Am Fallturm 1, 28359 Bremen, Germany, Tel.: +49 421 2187421
http://www.bccms.uni-bremen.de/en/people/home/b_aradi/